Tuesday, June 28, 2011

5th and 6th Hospital Visit & Doctors Appointment

Hm. Well it's been a busy "weekend" (Saturday, Sunday & Monday). I'm just gonna jump right into it.

Saturday was our 1 year wedding anniversary. YAY! I'll make a seperate post with pictures about that later. I was kinda having contractions throughout the day but nothing out of the usual. Same old. Definitely nothing to worry about.

Something was out of the norm though...the contractions were increasing and getting more painful as the day went on. Weird....that never happened before. That night around 9 pm they got pretty painful and were about 4 minutes apart. That eventually decreased to 3 minutes apart. I tried to go to sleep, hoping they would just stop. They didn't and there was no way I was going to get any sleep. The pain was getting worse.

Around 2 am we decided it was time to call the doctor. I was in a fair amount of pain and it was becoming apparent that they weren't going to stop. We talked to the doctor on call, Dr. Banks, and she told us to head to L&D. Big surprise, right?

Off we went. I honestly thought this was the time we were actually going to have our son. The contractions felt different. It all felt different. I felt like something was actually happening. So we got there and into a room and all changed. They hooked me up to the monitors and sure enough I was contracting every 3 minutes. The monitor looked way different this time though. It actually looked like I was in labor. When the nurse checked my cervix I was 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced. Something was definitely happening.

When they took my blood pressure it was high. So they took it a few more times and it was still high. After a little bit, Dr. Banks came in and told us she thought we would not be leaving without our baby. At that point we got so excited!! Finally...we thought we were going to meet our son!

Dr. Banks wanted to see if my blood pressure was high due to the pain of the contractions so she gave me a shot of nubain (pain medicine). The nurse also had me lay on my side. Well....the nubain killed the contractions and my blood pressure came down to normal. They had a lab tech come up and took some of my blood to do some tests. They came back good. After an hour or 2 of basically nothing we were sent home...without our baby. Before we left the nurse checked my cervix again and I was still 1 cm but now 60% effaced.

We know the best place for him right now is right where he is, however to be told that we probably were going to have our child and then having nothing happen is very frustrating. Little did we know...this was only the beginning of the frustrations.

Dr. Banks also wanted me to do a 24 hour collection. Great fun. We got all the intructions for that before we left. That was not fun. Especially when you pee a billion times a day!

Yesterday (Monday) I got a headache that would not go away not matter what I did. This was one of the signs they told us to watch out for with high blood pressure. My mom and I went to CVS to use the blood pressure machine to see if we had a problem. Turns out my blood pressure was very high.

I called the doctor and she (Dr. Kidd this time) told us to go to L&D again. When we got there around 2 pm my blood pressure was still high. Our nurse was also named Sarah. She was so aggressive. It was very intimidating. She kept lecturing us about how we don't want to have our son yet blah blah blah. Thank you...we've heard it all before.

They had me lay on my side and once again my blood pressure went down. However as soon as a would get off my side, it would go right back up. They took my blood and did some tests on the 24 hour urine collection. Side note on the 24 hour urine test. It ended while we were at the hospital. The day before they told us just to bring it to the L&D nurses station when we finish. So Jason (bless his heart) brought it to them. Nurse Sarah told him he was supposed to take it. He deinitely wasn't. When he finally found the lab, he had to have a security gaurd take him though 2 locked doors. The lab people also told him the nurse was supposed to bring it. Another reason we were not too fond of nurse Sarah.

While waiting for the test results they decided to give my an IV (again) because they thought I might be dehydrated again. I definitely wasn't. I had drank a ton of fluids. That was so frustrating. They always try to blame everything on dehydration and it's never the case.

Around 7 pm there was a shift change and we got a new nurse. The new one was awesome and so nice. Not aggresive or rude at all! Finally we got the test results back and everything was "good". So we were discharged again. I was nervous because every single time I would get off my side my blood pressure would go up too high again. Dr. Kidd told me to stay laying down on my side at all times unless absolutely necessary to get up. That about threw me over the edge. I can't lay on my side forever! Here I was thinking that I was gonna be able to get off bedrest this Thursday but now they are telling me it's going to be even more strict. When we got home I just cried. I was at my breaking point.

I had a follow up appointment this morning. I was going to see the midwife and was not to thrilled about that because she does not know what going on. Thankfully, my doctor (Dr. Halderman) saw me in the hall and came to see exactly what was going on. She had been in surgery all day the day before and had not had a chance to talk to any of the other docotrs yet about what was going on. After we told her the whole story she went to figure out what was going on. She took over the appointment at that point. The nurse then came in and took my BP and it was still high.

After a few minutes she came back and checked my BP herself. It was still high. She then told me to continue bedrest (UGH). So I'm not going to be free as of Thursday. Not sure when I'm or if I'll be off bedrest. If this continues then she'll have me deliver at 37-38 weeks. So mid July. She also told us to get our own blood pressure cuff so we can monitor my BP at home.

She checked my cervix and I was still 1 cm and now 70% effaced. So it keeps increasing. That's good. Dr. Halderman also confirmed that he has most definitely dropped and is head down. That's great news!

I have an NST on Thursday. That's the test where they put the monitors on and just monitor him for a bit. And then another appointment next Tuesday. They were supposed to call me today to set up another appointment to check my BP once a week (so I'll be going in twice a week from now on until I deliver or my BP drops) but they never called. Don't know what's up with that...

We got the blood pressure cuff and have been monitoring my BP throughout the afternoon. It seemed to be doing exactly what it was at the hospital. It was fine when I was on my side but when I sat up it went up high. This evening it has been a bit better though.

So I have no idea what is going to happen at this point. If my blood pressure continues to be high when I'm up then we'll have our son in 1-2 but if it gets better all the time then we'll be going to full term. As of now I'm still on bedrest and we're just waiting to see what happens. We'll see........

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah. That sounds miserable. I'm so sorry. I hope you get off bedrest soon. And let's be honest, I want to see pics of the adorable little guy, so I'm *secretly* hoping that he comes soon. We love you and you and the little guy are in our prayers.
    Becca Kauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude!!!!! So sorry sweety! Prayers and more prayers. I love you!

    ReplyDelete