Monday, June 20, 2011

Baby Classes

I'm going to do a short post about the baby classes we recently attended. Our hospital offers free classes to anyone that is going to deliver there. What a great opportunity! We were definitely not going to let it pass us by. Plus it was a good excuse for me to get out while still on bedrest! Even if it was just a classroom in the hospital...

Last Monday we took a breastfeeding class. A lot of people think there is nothing to breastfeeding. That it's easy and will just come naturally. Man are those people wrong. I have heard some pretty scary stories about the difficulties of breastfeeding. I am not letting it sway my decision to breastfeed my son though. It's best for him and also has benefits for me as well. Not to mention formula costs an arm and a leg.

I defintely recommend taking a breastfeeding class to anyone that is planning on breastfeeding their child! It was so informative. My hospital is very pro breastfeeding and is going to help me every single step of the the way to make sure I am successful. At the class we mostly learned the benefits and what not; not so much the positions. When I have him, the lacatation consultants will show me all the positions in post partum and help me with technique there. I really like this because we could have practiced with dolls all we wanted, I'm sure it's WAY different with an actualy newborn.

This past sunday we took a prepared childbirth class. It was from 9 am to 5 pm and let me tell you, we needed every second. We even stayed after for an optional infant CPR course. This class was awesome! We feel so much more prepared and not nearly has nervous as before. It basically covered everything; a short overview of what happens to the body during pregnancy, early signs of labor starting, stages of labor, birth, post partum, and basic newborn information.

My favorite part was getting to talk an anesthesiologist. I was a little nervous about getting an epidural before we talked to him. I knew I wanted to get one but the whole process kinda scared me. I'm not nervous at all now! I don't know why anyone wouldn't get one. The nurse teaching us said that almost all nurses and doctors are pro epidural now and they don't give awards to moms that decide to go all natural. I'm not bashing on mom's that do decide to go all natural. If you can go all natural...more power to ya! As for me I want to enjoy the birth of my son and not be withering in pain the entire time. I'm going to take full advantage of modern medicine.

They also took us on a detailed tour of L&D. We'd already been there 4 times sooo been there done that. But we did get to see the newborn nursery and NICU which we hadn't really seen before. That was cool. Jason will get to go there with Mason after he is born for his first bath and all that.

So the point is....if you're expecting, TAKE CLASSES!!! I am so happy I did and I know you will be too. 100% worth the time!!

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that the classes are free out there. They charge $$$ for them here so we didn't go to any. That's awesome your are going to nurse Mason. I've found that those who are totally committed to it before having the baby are more successful. Peter was nursed exclusively for a year and we're going on 5 months with Luke. You are going to be the best Mom!

    ReplyDelete